Ahhh, Palm Springs. The warm sun, blue sky, palm trees and majestic mountains captivate me every time we visit. We just returned from an amazing week for Spring Break in the desert and I’m brimming with ideas and tips for traveling to Palm Springs with kids. Palm Springs is a mecca of fun and sun for families. A short flight from most cities on the West coast with lots of airport arrival options, Palm Springs offers families a chance to warm-up the winter bones, shed the rain boots and get outside and play. I’ve written several posts on Palm Springs with kids including a recent post on Ciao Bambino. We are frequent visitors and while we go primarily for the sunshine, we also enjoy sampling the local food, shopping and exploring many of Palm Springs’ fun family-friendly activities. Here are a few quick tips for shopping, eating and playing in Palm Springs:
Where to Eat: Palm Springs has a lot of delicious food options for families. Here are a just a few of our favorites:
- Breakfast at Normas, The Parker Hotel: This is a cool and funky place to dine and you may spot a celebrity while enjoying a gigantic plate of Lemon Griddle Cakes or Eggs Benedict.
- Blue Coyote Grill: this place is hopping at night. With live music, fun atmosphere and a great selection of full flavor dishes, you can people watch and enjoy lunch or dinner from the patio.
- Tommy Bahamas Tropical Cafe: a fun and lively spot to take a break from shopping at El Paseo in Palm Desert.
- Palm Springs Fudge and Chocolates: this store is a kid’s dream with a huge selection of every chocolate and sweet treat. Stop and hang out near the fountain and enjoy on of their famous Date shakes.
Where to Shop: Palm Springs is a shoppers paradise. From the big brands to cool funky boutiques, this place has something for everyone:
- Palm Canyon Drive in Palm Springs: Explore the shops of downtown Palm Springs by taking a stroll down Palm Canyon drive, stop for a coffee at Koffi and do some people watching.
- The Shops on El Paseo: a must for those who want the Rodeo Drive experience and luxury brands all in one spot. Gucci, Burberry along with some great boutiques including designer digs for mom and kids at She She and Trio.
- Desert Hill Premium Outlets: an absolute must for outlet prices on Dolce & Gabbana, Jimmy Choo and many others. Check out the brand new Joes outlet filled with all of your favorite Joes jeans and gear.
- Mr. G’s Toy Store: this store has everything you need for the pool and to keep the little ones busy. It also has a room dedicated to board games for the whole family.
Where to Play: there are so many great things to do in Palm Springs with kids. Here are just a few fun outings to do with your kids:
- High Desert Museum: a spectacular zoo for families in the desert. Check out the new carrossel and the butterfly house along with the Gecko Gulch play area if you have small kids.
- Palm Springs Arial Tram: the ride is nearly as fun as the spectacular views from the top. Pack a picnic lunch and hike back into the woodland trails above. You will be amazed at the winter wonderland atop these brown mountains.
- Boomers: a fun afternoon for the family – mini golf, waterboats and go karts.
- Knotts Soak City: a great waterpark for families, with a lazy river, slides and a kids play area. Watch out for the giant bucket that dumps water on kids below!
- VillageFest in Palm Springs: if you are in Palm Springs on a Thursday evening, don’t miss this very fun street festival. Palm Canyon Drive is blocked off between Baristo and Amado and artisans, food and entertainment fills the street.
The Palm Springs Tourism website also has some great links to everything you want to know about where to stay, eat, dine, shop and play in Palm Springs.