Welcome to the 2nd Edition of the A-Z #WellTraveledFamily Challenge. We’re heading up north for some fun with the letter B! Want to join the challenge? Details below!
British Columbia is Canada’s westernmost province, and has no shortage of fun family activities that make for great escapes. A rich multi-cultural history, dynamic arts scene, and getaways ranging from adventurous to luxurious make British Columbia one of our favorite places to spend a little family time. Here’s four fun experiences you can try this Summer:
1. Fossil Tours in Courtenay
For some prehistoric fun, head to the banks of the Puntledge River in Courtenay for a Fossil Tour. Beginning at the Courtenay & District Museum & Palaeontology Centre, you’ll get to visit the exhibits and learn about the Jurassic history of British Columbia. When you’ve soaked up some knowledge, you get to head to an actual fossil site and do some hands-on digging. Find a fossil? It’s yours to keep. What a great souvenir! Trips are $30 per adult and $20 per child over age four. Reservations are required for the daily trips through August!
2. Get Wet at Harrison Resort
Combine the relaxation of natural hot spring mineral pools with the fun of a waterpark, and you have Harrison Hot Springs Resort and Spa! We love the Get Wet package–which includes a 2-night stay, bumper boat rides, waterslide passes at the Bridal Falls Waterpark, a daily breakfast buffet, and one room-service pizza dinner. Packages start at $469 for stays from July 1-July 19.
3. See the Flowers on a Victoria Clipper Day Trip
You don’t need to book a hotel room to have a great escape in British Columbia. Hop aboard a Victoria Clipper cruise round trip between Seattle and Victoria, headed for the gorgeous Butchart Gardens–one of Victoria’s most popular tourist attractions. The stunning sunken garden features seasonal floral displays all done in a Victorian tradition. The Butchart Gardens Day Trip Tour picks you up from the Victoria Clipper terminal and shows you the city highlights on the way to the garden. Prices starts at $166 per adult and $55 per child over age 5.
4. Overnight in Vancouver’s Only Fort
Fort Langley, Vancouver’s only fort, recently announced that they’ve built oTENTik tents that are available for overnight stays. Families can sleep inside the walls of Vancouver’s only fort with homey comfort and outdoor adventure included! The tents can accommodate up to six people, and an overnight includes a picnic breakfast and a bundle of firewood. As a special promotion, Fort Langley is offering a 20% on reservations made before June 30th. Rooms are $120 nightly and are available through August. For more information, call the Fort Langley National Historic Site at 604-513-4799.
What’s your favorite family activity in British Columbia? Let us know in the comments or on Facebook!
Start the A-Z #WellTraveledFamily Summer Challenge today! What is it and how do you play? There are roughly 13 weeks to summer, so starting this week, we’ll be kicking off summer and inspiring you to get out and travel with your family, sharing great destinations, trying new things, and finding a bit of magic along the way–each corresponding to one of the letters of the week.
Here’s how to join in on the fun using social media and blogs for inspiration this summer:
1. Develop your own A-Z #WellTraveledFamily Summer Travel Plan: You don’t have to travel far this summer to play – the A-Z #WellTraveledFamily challenge is all about getting creative this summer about exploring and reconnecting as a family. Sit down with your family and plan out your own A-Z Summer Travel Challenge. Where do you want to go? Get the kids involved and make this fun. Consider food, activities and destinations by letter of the alphabet.
2. Share your A-Z ideas and trip photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: Have an idea for an A-Z travel experience or destination or need ideas? Share your own A-Z Summer Travel ideas and trips on Facebook and with @HipTravelMama on Twitter, Instagram your photos using the #welltraveledfamily hashtag. We’ll have some great prizes throughout the summer, so make sure you “like” us and “follow us” to play! Make sure you send them a link to this blog post so your friends know how to play too!
Most of all – HAVE FUN WITH THIS and get out and explore with your family this summer.
Images compliments of Courtenay District & Museum, Harrison Resort, Victoria Clipper, and Parks Canada.