It’s that time of year again, the time for setting intentions, planning new adventures, and the opportunity to start anew. I’ve never been a New Year’s Resolutions gal – more of an intention setter at the beginning of the year. Setting intentions and goals for the year vs. a New Year’s Resolution takes the pressure off and helps me stick to the long game of reaching my goals. What are your intentions this year? Does it include more time to travel with the family? Maybe a yoga retreat? Is it time for that girlfriend getaway, or that special celebration couples trip you’ve been putting off? I’m here to help you set your travel intentions for 2023 and start planning a year of adventures.
Here are 5 steps to find your way to your next adventure in 2023
- Start with the WHY – Before you think about “where” to travel and “when” to travel, start with the WHY you travel. This important subtle shift will help you identify what is important to you about travel and why you do it. Do you love exploring new cultures? Is having great local food important to you when you travel? Do you need time to unplug and unwind in a quiet location? List out the “whys” first before you move on to where you want to go. Back in 2010 when the blog was just two years old, I wrote this post on Why We Travel. So much in my parenting life has changed since then but ALL of it still rings true today.
- Keep it SIMPLE. Unless you have unlimited time and funds, you will need to prioritize all those travel plans you are eager to cross off your bucket list this year. Start with opening up your calendar and identifying a few key breaks of time that could work for a getaway – a spring break trip with the family, an open weekend for a couples trip, or a quick overnight with the girls. Then, make a short list of the places you are interested in going.
- WRITE down your intentions. Now is the time to grab your journal or your vision board. If your intention is to do a yoga retreat for yourself this year, or to book that family trip to Europe this summer, or to book that over-water bungalow for your big anniversary, get it all down on paper. The more specific your intention the better your ability to achieve it.
- Get INSPIRED. Having trouble finding destinations that fit the bill? Head online for inspiration. Take this vacation quiz from Conde Nast Traveler, or explore this list of 50 Best Places to Travel in 2023 by Travel + Leisure, or Where to Go in 2023 by Bloomberg
- Get the people you want to travel with INVOLVED. Every year at the beginning of the year, we all sit down and brainstorm new places we want to explore as a family. Doing this exercise with family, partner and friends not only is fun – it also helps build a shared commitment to making your 2023 travel intentions happen!
Want more? I’d love the privilege of delivering content direct to your inbox, where I share exclusive content, tips and inspiration so you can stay up to date on the latest from Hip Travel Mama!