What do luxury yoga retreats have to do with family travel? If there is one thing I’ve learned in this 40 Days of Yoga journey is that moms (and dads) need a break on occasion to pamper their spirit and recharge. If you are an aspiring yogi looking to deepen your practice, or if you have always wanted to try a yoga retreat, but don’t like the idea of roughing it, here are some tips for finding an inspiring retreat that will satisfy your thirst for travel, your taste for luxe accommodations and your quest for peace.
- Satisfy your Wanderlust: Coming up July 29-August 1 in Squaw Valley, CA. Wanderlust is a one-of-a-kind festival bringing together the world’s best yoga teachers and best performers in rock & roll, all in a setting of breathtaking natural beauty. Take classes and be inspired by some of the Yoga industry’s best teachers including Baron Baptiste, Shiva Rea and Sean Corne. Of course there will be lots of folks camping here, but there are also luxe accommodations available with spas, fine dining and breath- taking scenery.
- Pick a Package Deal: There are several travel agents that specialize in yoga and wellness vacations. One we found is Lux World Travel, specializing in unique luxury travel vacations combining luxe accommodations, wellness and spa packages, adventure and culture, excellent food & wine, and impeccable service. Some of their featured yoga retreat packages include a Jungle to Beach Yoga Luxury Holiday in Playa de Carmen, Mexico. Deemed as a “sexy, eco-conscious hideaway in the jungle” by Travel+Leisure, this package is at a Mayan-style resort and includes yoga classes and spa treatments overlooking the beautiful coastline. Right now Lux World Travel is offering 30% off this year-round retreat. Another interesting retreat package is the Arizona Mountain Luxury Spa in Tucson, Arizona. According to the description, the luxurious accommodations and world renowned spa have led the readers of Travel & Leisure, SpaFinder and Conde Nast Traveler to vote this Tucson destination the #1 spa in the world.
- Meditate Like a Celebrity: If price is no object, indulge yourself at one of the famous celebrity spa hideouts such as Miraval and Canyon Ranch. These spas offer customized programs to develop mindfulness, practice yoga and indulge in luxurious accommodations and spa treatments.
- Go Eat, Pray Love Style. Have the urge to expand your horizons and take your pilgrimage global? Check out Samudra YogaAdventures with Shiva Rea. One retreat that caught our eye is the Relaxation Retreat in Santorini, Greece coming June 28-July 4. Seven days of Vinyasa Flow yoga with Shiva Rae, sunrise meditation and ceremonial dinners overlooking the Aegean Sea sounds absolutely heavenly. Yoga Journal also lists 12 Days in Tuscany, and Open Sky Yoga’s Second International Journey to South India with Francois Raoult in its Yoga Directory (Feb 2010 issue).
- Take the Kids: Looking for a yoga retreat you can do with the whole family? Wanderlust is family friendly and includes a whole program called WanderKind dedicated to entertaining the little ones and custom tailored to the interests of Wanderlust families. The program, held on site at Squaw Kids, runs from 9:30am-4pm Friday through Sunday, and includes activities like kids’ yoga, music, henna tattoos, hula-hooping and crafts. OneWorldRetreats also has family yoga programs in Bali, and Travel+Leisure offers some tips and links for discovering Family Om.
Still soul searching? Check out Travel + Leisure’s list for a little Om away from home, or Yoga Journal’s directory of vacations and retreats. If you can’t sneak away for vacation, but want to deepen your practice at home, find a yoga studio near you and start now! Have a suggestion for a luxe yoga retreat? Tell us about it in the comments.
Join our growing Hip Travel Mama community on Facebook who share your passion for luxury travel and follow us at @hiptravelmama on Twitter for the latest luxury family travel deals, trip ideas, luxe style, food and wine.